TV Review: Wilfred (2011), "Pilot"

Posted by Etaoin on 6/23/2011 10:27:00 PM


Starring: Elijah Wood, Jason Gann, and Fiona Gubbelmann

Run-time: 30 minutes
Genre: Dark Comedy
Station: FX

Synopsis: Out-of-work Ryan is befriended by his neighbor's dog, Wilfred. The twist? Wilfred is a dog to everybody except for Ryan who sees him as a man in a dog costume. Their friendship blooms with thier sort-of misguided misadventures. Based on a previously produced show in Australia.

*spoilers ahead*

Within the first couple of seconds, FX's newest comedy, Wilfred, made me die laughing. The episode started off with us seeing Elijah Wood's character, Ryan, saving his 3rd revised suicide letter, and mixing a suicide smoothy made of pills and other wonders. Much to my pleasure, Ryan was able to utter such brilliant lines like, "....I hope they find my body before the smell becomes a problem for you" before his suicide *doesn't* happen.

Then, the next moring, his neighbor, who happens to be played by the gorgeous Fiona Gubbelmann, brings her "dog", Wilfred, over, asking Ryan to watch him while her house is being fumigated. And from there, like the milk in the fridge, the show begins to sour.

Wilfred, played by Jason Gann, for me, is the worst part of the show and seemingly brings it down. Now, this may just be me because I hardly enjoy characters like him; however, you may end up loving him. I would've probably have casted somebody else. But Gann is Australian which automatically means he's awesome, so, maybe, he'll grow on me.

Meanwhile, Ryan is being hounded (ha) by his sister who has just gotten him a job in the hospital. However, because of Wilfred, Ryan seems as misguided as ever and throws it back in her face. This will probably be a re-occuring theme throughout the series.

The acting is, over-all, acceptable. Elijah Wood and Fiona Gubbelmann seem to be perfect for their roles, while, as I said, I would've casted somebody else as Wilfred.

The writing seems to be solid, except for the drug-use that they seem to be using as a crutch.

Ethan Suplee is in it, so there is a win. I've loved that man ever since I saw him in Boy Meets World, way back when! Though, he wasn't in the episode for very long, I forsee his character being in it more frequently as the show progresses. All signs point to antagonist.

Though we see the bromance between Wilfred and Ryan blossoming, the dog, of course, seems to have alterior motives. Most likely protection of his owner. We'll see. Should provide plenty of story-lines and friction for the future.

Ruling: 3/5
I will watch this show next week, and maybe the week after. Hopefully, it gets better as it goes because I know sometimes pilots are the worst of the series. As of right now, I would love this show without Gann, as much as it hurts me to say. I see this growing into something special.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site