Movie Review: X-Men: First Class (2011)

Posted by Etaoin on 6/20/2011 02:31:00 AM

"School for the Gifted, Indeed"

Drctd by: Matthew Vaughn; Actrs: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Lawrence; Wrttn by: Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn

Released: June 3, 2011 (USA)
Run Time: 132 minutes
Rating: PG-13

Synopsis: The newest addition to the X-Men franchise. Based in the 1960s, it tells the tale of the early friendship of Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr, as well as their teachings to younger mutants. The two men work together to fend of the dangerous menace that is Sebastian Shaw.

First things first: Go see this movie. Best X-men movie (so far), my favorite movie of the summer (so far), in contention for best movie of 2011. Ranks up there for best comic-book movie, next to The Dark Knight.

For me, I didn't want this movie. And after seeing the first posters and trailer, I really didn't want ot see this movie. But, then, I saw this movie... and I loved it.

*spoilers ahead*


Now, at first, upon hearing the characters they were going to use, I was extremely skeptical, especially because they didn't coincide with the original in the comics, etc. However, I never even read the comics, so after my initial viewing, I was easily won over and forgot all about the technicalities. To me, these choices made sense (at least more than I thought they would). But, if you are a die hard fanboy-ish comic-lover, you won't won't be as accepting as an outsider like myself.

The challenge with X-men: First Class, going in, must have been how to balance the ensemble. Every character is someone's favorite, and every actor is deserving of screen time. So, how do you choose? I'm not sure, but, apparenlty, Matthew Vaghn found out. He gave appropriate screen time to each character -- James McAvoy's Xavier, Michael Fassbender's Magneto, and Kevin Bacon's Sebastian Shaw getting the most, while  their students and associates, respectively, have lesser time, but enough time. This was important to me because in the previous films, Wolverine was given too much screen time to the detriment of such iconic characters like Cyclops, Jean, Storm, or, even, Charles Xavier, himself.

When it comes to acting out these characters: A lot of people are talking about Fassbender, and deservedly so. He was basically a mutated James Bond, kicking-ass without taking many names. Over-all great performance, he managed to balance Magneto's human side with his sociopath. However, James McAvoy stole the show for me. He was just more subtle in his performance. He played intelligent, funny, and charming -- everything really. The rest of the cast was well acted as well.

What really won me over was where the movie focused. Opposed to the original trilogy (and Wolverine), First Class didn't focus on romance and brooding emotional issues just for the sake of drama, it focused on the characters in a sense that made them feel real and left the drama in the bigger picture where it belongs in a movie like this.

Surprisingly, their mutations, actually, made them feel more human. Again, opposed to the oringial trilogy (and Wolverine). There, they felt like the powers consumed the characters; here, the powers were only a piece of who they were and we could focus on more than what was appealing to the eyes. Don't get me wrong, their powers were there in full force, they were just used appropriately.

Sidenote: I always enjoyed the message of the X-men, and this movie portrayed that pretty well.

This movie had an overall intelligent tone, where it was more than meets the eye (wrong franchise >_>). But, in serious-ness, the movie dealt with real human emotion, but, of course, taken to an extreme, considering we aren't walking arournd blue and/or furry. And it did deal with the fact that we all struggle with who we truly are on the inside. Basically, you could see the heart through all the flashes and bangs.

The overall composition was pretty great (at least to me): the atmosphere was great (appropriate for the 60s); the pacing was great (never got bored once); the story was great, but you knew that from earlier.

I was pleased to see that there was also some humor strategically stashed away, which was really enjoyable. But, don't worry, it isn't prominent, thankfully, I know. There is also a hilarious cameo, but I don't want to spoil it for you (there is also a second on that I was pleased to see).

A little in the beginning, but definitely towards the end, it was epic moment after epic moment after epic moment. And I loved every second of it.

And, as I may have said earlier, I was extremely skeptical walking in, but was sold with in the first couple of seconds.

Great heroes, and great villains throughout. Most audiences will appreciate the bad-assery that is Azazel (played by Jason Flemying), Kevin Bacon's Shaw, and co. The heroics are self-explanatory, considering this is an X:men film.

In the end, I didn't think of it as a superhero movie. It more came across as a period drama about the torn and tormented "who just so happen to have super powers". And I never wanted it to stop.

Of course, on the negative side, the film ignored a lot of continuity of the previous films. It seemed as though Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine were totally ignored -- probably for the better. The entire continuity in the film series is screwed up and complicated.

Ruling: 4.5/5
I can't wait for the sequel that is destined to happen. Also, this really shouldn't be a "prequel", this should be a reboot. It allowed for unlimited possibilities for the future.

Sidenote: I just want Cyclops done with justice. Though, Gambit is my favorite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site